+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lipo Voltages

Lipo Voltages

Just a quick one chaps, what is the maximum voltage for a 2S lipo - is it 8.2 or 8.4V? The instructions I got with the battery say 8.4V (or 4.2 / cell) but when i charge, the charger stops at 8.2V.

Its a new charger and pack (my first Lipo) so I presume everything is ok, just wondering why the difference.

Ta
    Chris

Administrator MikeS has a level 1 reputation MikeS's Avatar
    Should be 8.4v for 2S LiPo. Check the battery voltage with a volt meter to see what that says, then check the chargers configuration as many support different cell type and it might be wrong.
    CentralBooking|Modeltech

Mike

Thanks for the reply, the pack is at 8.2V after charging - checked on a digital multimeter. The charger is set for LIPO but I cant find any setting to adjust the ultimate pack voltage - you select 1,2,3,4,5S pack type. I am sure it wont affect me too much - I am only running stock brushless and aint very good even at that. I was just curious and wondered if 8.2V was standard and 8.4V was the limit.

i will have another look tonight to see if i can find a hidden setting!

Regards
    Chris

Guest Member Dez82 has a level 1 reputation Dez82's Avatar
    Hi Chris, 8.4V is the maximum, not a target, and some budget LiPo chargers only charge a 2S LiPo to 8.2V to give the cheaper LiPo cells a longer working life, so it might just be that.
    Some more expensive and accurate chargers have a cold weather balance that reduces the cell voltage to accomodate the LiPo technologies hate of cold temperatures, so it might be that.
    What charger are you using by the way?

Dez - ha, your email makes sense when you as the make.... I guess you hit the nail on the head, it is a "budget LiPo Charger" but I will have another look at it tonight, it may be a setting I am missing or something like it is limiting the voltage due to the balance lead being plugged in. Your mention of 8.4V being a maximum kind of answers my question, I am not one for pushing things to the limit all the time anyway!

Question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Briggs View Post
    ...what is the maximum voltage for a 2S lipo...
    Answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Should be 8.4v for 2S LiPo.
    :
    CentralBooking|Modeltech

Sorry Mike I did note you said 8.4V as well!

Guest Member KeithA has a level 1 reputation
    My guess is that your charger is in Li-ion mode instead of Li-Po mode.

Max charge voltage for Li-Po will probably be 4.2V but for Li-ion it could possibly be 4.1V, so that stacks up with your 8.2V reading.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    .....then check the chargers configuration as many support different cell type and it might be wrong.
    :
    CentralBooking|Modeltech

Global Moderator Mark Christopher has a level 1 reputation Mark Christopher's Avatar
    dont worry mike, i saw what you put so did not reply LOL
    Dremel- - Xray - MBModels Leeds - RCDisco - Nova Rossi - Byron - RRCI - Enetti/Blitz - RCSuerstart- Graphics bat - RCS - MRT - Vapextech.co.uk

DAM DAM DAM you are all correct! despite me being positive it said LI-Po, it did, when I turned it back on, in fact say LI-Io

My mistake, I hang my head in shame and vow never to be an idiot again.

Thanks for your help guys, I await your replies giving me appropriate slagging.

Chris

RaceChat Supporter PDW has a level 1 reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Briggs View Post
    My mistake, I hang my head in shame and vow never to be an idiot again.

Chris
    Damn - you shouldn't promise what life will make sure you can't deliver!! Glad it's sorted...
    'Puff Daddy' races with : Team DORIS : Racer Magazine : Associated : AMC : Zen Racing :

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast