+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EDIT/hardened diff screws where?

Guest Member c0sie has a level 1 reputation

EDIT/hardened diff screws where?

Looked on Microtech's site but they are out of both the EDIT and the HB hardened diff screws.

Anyone able to PM a link/site that has physical stock of this?

Thanks!

vroomtshh
    You'll be lucky. I tried looking last week and no1 had any. If you find some, let me know where

Guest Member Matt Pocknell has a level 1 reputation
    Anyone know of anywhere that has some in stock?

Thanks

Guest Member ianjoyner has a level 1 reputation
    Anybody else tried Dan Hughes suggestion of drilling the outdrives out to 2.5mm?

I've had a Cyclone S for a few months now and just broke my first diff screw, it just went when pulling out of a corner. Probably not a coincidence it's just a few meetings after I put alloy outdrives in.

There is very little clearance between the outdrives and the screw, even with the plastic outdrives you could see marks on the screw where they had been rubbing. On both my plastic outdrives, the tube sticking out of the (nut side?) outdrive had sheared, obviously the alloy drives won't give like the plastic ones and probably put more pressure on the screw. If the outdrives are rubbing against the screw it's no surprise people are having trouble with them loosening off as well.

I pinched a screw from my Pro 4, and noticed that there was no marks on it, despite having over a years use in the car. So I took a look at the Pro 4 outdrives and they have a bigger hole when compared to either the alloy or plastic Cyclone outdrives. No idea why this is?????

So unless someone can explain to me why the clearance to the screw needs to be so small, when it wasn't on the Pro 4, I'm going to drill them to 2.5mm. Any update Dan on how your's is holding out?

Apparantley Atushi Hara recommended drilling the outdrive out on one of his build guides too, so if that solves it, why are HB releasing titanium diff screws when all we need to do is drill it out? Or is there a design reason I'm missing?

Ian

Guest Member Dan Hughes has a level 1 reputation
    The new diff screws are only titanium coated same with the hinge pins. My car is still fine i also found that when setting the diff up use threadlock on the nut and tighten the diff in small increments and dont loosen it otherwise it doesnt seem as consistant. I run the diff with an edit screw, silicone nitrided diff balls and i have drilled out the short side of the diff half to 2.5mm and its been spot on since. TBH the diffs are to setup with the plastic halves but now i cant get them any different. Maybe if you run on a super high grip surface then the plastic ones will be good. Havnt run foams with this car yet.

Guest Member stueyR has a level 1 reputation
    i done the drilling to 2.5 set the diff up corrcetly done three runs round barham and snaped it i now use a tc4 diff screw and retainer its a little larger in diameter and ran it about 15 runs whilst testing and its perfect.

Guest Member c0sie has a level 1 reputation
    Stu,

Is the AE screw a direct fit?? Any chance of a part number?

Only issue I now have is the diff spring has lost its spring and i cannot adjust the tightness using the hole...i have to take the cvd out to do it now :S

Guest Member stueyR has a level 1 reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by c0sie View Post
    Stu,

Is the AE screw a direct fit?? Any chance of a part number?

Only issue I now have is the diff spring has lost its spring and i cannot adjust the tightness using the hole...i have to take the cvd out to do it now :S
    to be honest i didn't look at the part number when i odered it if you ring nick adams at demon and ask for a tc4 diff bolt he will know what you need I had already drilled the short outrive to 2.5mm so i drilled the long side aswell not for any reason just to be sure it doesn't bind.
    build the diff identical to the instructions and it will be perfect oh the bolt has a metric thread but an imperial allen wrench head its just under a 2mm allen you may need an allen key or a worn out 2mm driver

stu rand
    Last edited by stueyR; 22-03-2007 at 12:38 AM. Reason: spelling

modracer
    edit diff screws back in stock @ microtech

Guest Member Dan Hughes has a level 1 reputation
    Bring it up again, i have just rebuilt my diff and it looks like the thrust race wears away at the screw, this is after about 10-15 runs. anyone else notice this?

Guest Member mr4man has a level 1 reputation
    Yup on my pro 4 the trust race has caused the Edit screw to have a wear ridge in it.
    I have some Top scythe thrust races too try as there cheap and caged ball type.

Guest Member Warren has a level 1 reputation
    erm, how come so many people are having problems with their diff screws? i have run my cyclone for the last 12 months with no problems with the diff screw, all the maintenance i do is sand the diff plates and replace the balls every now and again, i have run the hardened diff screw and the standard one finding no difference in the two.

+ Reply to Thread