+ Reply to Thread

Thread: set ups!

Guest Member steven bough has a level 1 reputation

set ups!

does any one know how i can set the-
    front toe in/out acuratly,i.e how do i now if im only using 1 deg toe out- or- 2 deg toe out,
    how do i set the car to 0 deg!.

also on the 12M you have 4 ball joints at the front of the car 2 at the front of the wheels 2 at the back of the front wheels!
    what does adding washers at the front rear ball joints do exactly & what does adding washers at the very front ball joints do.

at the moment my 12M has no washers at the front rear ball joints but 2 washers under the very front ball joints,Andy Griff has said to add one more at the front ball joints(what will this do regarding set up).

ste

Big Jimmy G

Re:set ups!

Measuring front toe is not too hard. This is how I do it (no special gear needed!)

1. Switch everything on and get the servo horn / saver vertical. Disconnect the motor unless you want some extra excitement....

2. Measure the front and rear track. I have a Calandra and the front is significantly narrower than the rear. On mine is is about 172 and 162 mm. This means that each front wheel in about 5mm "in" from the rears.

3. Place a steel rule or straight edge against the outside rim of the front wheels and let the other end rest on the top of the rear wheels.. If you disconnect the track ends you can now rotate the front wheel as if it was steering. If you want 0 degrees toe, there shouls be a 5mm gap between the edge of the rule and the outside of the rear tire (if your measurements are the same as on a Calandra).

4. Tighten the track ends. Repeat for the other side.

If you want toe in, have a smaller gap, if you want toe out have a bigger gap.

I'm not sure exactly how much gap 1 degree in or out is, that depends on the wheel base of your car. Simple tirganometry can give you that....

Guest Member steven bough has a level 1 reputation

Cheers "big jimmy"

Big Jimmy G

Glad you understood that last one.

As for ther washers, they change the camber and castor I think (it has been a while since I had a corally.....)

More washers under the fronw will give more castor and I think more camber too.

As the two balls are at an angle, ie. not in line with the centre line of the car, I think that adding washers will also change the way camber and castor react with suspension movement. Perhaps Mike Smith can put you right on that one.....?

James

Guest Member KRob has a level 1 reputation

Where's Griff when you need him :

I know that the washers he runs under the very front ball joints are for the increased castor it gives - not sure of the effect on camber though.

Guest Member MattW has a level 1 reputation

Not convinced it alters camber at all.

Guest Member griff has a level 1 reputation

Hi I'm back,
    sorry, I've been in Spain ;D

Putting washers under the front balljoint just increases the caster, the camber stays the same.

You shouldn't ever need to put washers under the rear balljoint (on the front wishbone) as this will give you a higher roll centre, which should give less steering.
    Some drivers fit a low roll centre ball at the rear of the wishbone, with a std ball at the front, to lower the roll centre, and so increase steering, but I haven't tried this myself.

The only way to increase the camber is to loosen off the springs and then adjust the ride hight back to the original height. This will alow the wishbones to sag a little, which will create more camber, as the camber increases as the wishbones move up.

Hope you can understand all this ???

Also you have to guess a little on the toe-in/toe-out, as the steering arms have loads of play(this helps the car to run in a straight line). I pull the wheels back, then push them forward, and try to get about the same amount of movement in both directions.

Andy

Guest Member Dave Treacy has a level 1 reputation

doesn't Griff sound like he's gutted to be back from Spain ;D ;D ;D

+ Reply to Thread