PDA

View Full Version : Shocks & Springs

Andy M
28-07-2004, 02:20 AM
Hi there,

I've had a look back and haven't seen this before, apologies if it is a repeat.

What are the normal range of shock settings used in 1/12th? Which oil and springs is it worth stocking up on to be on the racing edge ;)

Cheers

Andy

Jim Spencer
28-07-2004, 09:47 AM
Hi

Depends on the car.

On my Associated I use 40w shock oil, the PRO10 silver spring on the rear, plus carry a softer spring if its really bumpy.

Fronts 18 to 20 gauge.

But it really depends then on how you like your car to work.

Jim

Andy M
28-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Mine will be an L4, typically I went to go get it on Monday and they had run out of stock so I'm receiving it friday hopefully.

Which spring do you get as stock with the kit?

Oil sounds fine as I have my TC range.

Thanks

Andy

jas1
28-07-2004, 08:56 PM
i have just bought the cefx kit, that comes with the associated rear shocker, in the bag it comes with a silver spring recomended for pro 10, and a green spring for 1/12 cars, presume it will be the same in the L4 kit.

Dan Reynolds
29-07-2004, 03:19 PM
i have just bought the cefx kit, that comes with the associated rear shocker, in the bag it comes with a silver spring recommended for pro 10, and a green spring for 1/12 cars, presume it will be the same in the L4 kit.
The Reflex 12 has the Associated VCS shock as well, I think its pretty much a standard part on most current 1/12 cars
Associated do a spring kit for the VCS micro shocks
Black - 4.0lb
Green - 6lb
Silver - 8lb
Blue - 10lb
gold - 12lb
red - 14lb
copper - 16lb

PUASHP
30-07-2004, 10:22 AM
With the L4 you get a green rear spring, 40wt oil and 020" front springs.

This set up works well with the thicker t bar 075" which is included with the kit.

If you run the thinner t bar 065" also in the kit then you may need the silver spring. I also find the black spring is good with the thick t bar if the track is bumpy.

I usually run 30wt oil in the shock and the thick t bar with the green spring, with two outer fixings for the t bar to the pod (the instructions recommend using all three). If you run the thinner t bar then use all three.

As for the front 020" is a good staring point however if it is very high grip you may need a harder front spring such as 022" or even 024". If front end grip is a problem then try 018"

I hope this all makes sense

Cheers

Paul Ash
Team Associated

Andy M
30-07-2004, 10:29 AM
Thanks Paul,

Think I get it all :) Its bit hard relating it when I haven't got my hands of my kit yet, hopefully this afternoon.

I think I'll try and get the full spring sets just so I have all the options to try. I'll try your standard setup at Chippenham when we go indoors and tweak from there.

Oh just another L4 question.... do you get any wheels/tyres with the L4 Kit? If so would these be ok for a few initial runs or shall I go straight onto the JACO purple/grey setup I had intended to run?

Thanks

Andy

Mark Stiles
30-07-2004, 02:58 PM
With the L3 they gave you greens, which aren't much cop. Not sure what you get with the L4, or whether you get wheels/tyres at all!

PDW
30-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Andy M, you don't get any wheels/tyres with the L4, nor a body. You do get the front wheel bearings, and the bolts for the rear wheels. Yes, you would be correct in obtaining the Jaco grey rear/purple front combination. HTH :)

On the Reflex, I ran green damper spring and 30wt oil. On the CEFX I ran green spring and 20wt oil. It is a question of matching the spring rate of the T piece to the spring rate of the damper. Hence, Paul runs harder springs with thicker T pieces, and (you'll have guessed by now) my Reflex selection is for a thin T piece. HTH :)