PDA

View Full Version : Another 1/12th Starter + Wheel & Tyres question

Andy M
13-07-2004, 11:12 PM
Seeing as everyone else has been introducing themselves I thought I might aswell.

I currently race 1/10th On and Off Road and have decided to make the move over to 12th Circuit this winter. After multiple chats with Gary and Keith they have convinced me that I probably can't live without trying it :D

SO... i rectify the situation I have my name down besides a new L4 and planning my electrics at the momment.

No doubt I'll meet a few of you guys during the season, especially as Chippenham have a round this year which I will definitely be attending as its my local club.

Nice job at the Model Expo by the way, I only got to see a few of the races as I was working but what I saw reinforced my need to get into this class. :D

Anyway onto my actual point of the post....

Could someone PM me with some details about getting 12th wheels and tyres and what sort of compound I'll need to be looking at. Unfortunately MicroTech don't readily stock the 12th kit.

Cheers

Andy

MattW
13-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Tyres - either corallys in which case silver fronts and gold rears. Or Jaco/TRC/Calandra (jaco!) is purple fronts and grey rears.

If you wanted corally's you would have to get the wheels seperately and glue/true them. The other you could buy trued and glued ready to fit on the L4. You might be able to get them seperately and glue/true yourself, but as you can get them already done it is debateable if it's worth it.

Probably the best stocked shop for 12th bits is AMC from down Devon somewhere. Appoligies but i can't actually remember exactly where they are at the moment :o

I think their web site is linked from the BRCA, so all the contact info will be on there.

Andy M
14-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Cheers for that Matt, I'll look into it later.

Rob Fitzgerald
14-07-2004, 09:36 AM
ModelTech are also the UK Corally importer - as well as their range of 12th cars they also stock a fair bit of other 12th stuff.

Tyres, bodies, addative, small servos, rx's and servo savers, tyre truers and probably other stuff I have forgotten about.

Find their details in our 'Shops' section

Andy M
14-07-2004, 11:10 AM
Thanks Rob.

Just another question :)

Do all 12th cars have the same wheel attachments?

Also which addatve is recommended? We used to use the TQ orange additive on our 10th Tourers when indoors but its quite smelly.

Thanks

Andy

Mark Christopher
14-07-2004, 11:51 AM
im a newbie but smelly stuf is banned

Andy M
14-07-2004, 12:15 PM
I thought as much, I've seen Jack the Grippa on the ModelTech site which is wintergreen free and odourless. How does it perform?

Mark Stiles
14-07-2004, 12:22 PM
I use jack the gripper, as do most drivers. It works great. Other alternatives include LRP and Orion.

As for wheels, most cars now use the 3 bolt rear hub design, with the associated/trinity style front wheels. Some of the older RC12L series cars have a 2-bolt rear hub, and the corally's have a different fixing altogether.

The thing I hate about corally's is that the wheels are dish style, and are only available in one clour (black). I much prefer the white calandra dishes, or the new white jaco rims. Even the grey jacos look better!

PDW
14-07-2004, 10:19 PM
Your L4 is a 3-bolt wheel, so you need to buy those if you buy trued-and-glued. Both Proline and Trinity currently use 3-bolt wheels in their trued-and-glued range. You cannot fit Corally wheels to anything except a Corally, and if you get any 2-bolt wheels you will need to change the hub carriers at both ends of your diff to suit. HTH :)

Andy M
14-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Thankyou Thankyou. :d

Just had a look though a few places and decided to go with Jaco Purple and Greys and some Jack the Grippa additive.

Cheers all

Andy

Mark Christopher
27-07-2004, 09:19 PM
I use jack the gripper, as do most drivers. It works great. Other alternatives include LRP and Orion.

As for wheels, most cars now use the 3 bolt rear hub design, with the associated/trinity style front wheels. Some of the older RC12L series cars have a 2-bolt rear hub, and the corally's have a different fixing altogether.

The thing I hate about corally's is that the wheels are dish style, and are only available in one clour (black). I much prefer the white calandra dishes, or the new white jaco rims. Even the grey jacos look better!

what about the fronts?

PDW
27-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Same story - all cars use the same front wheel fixings, except Corally!! Latest Jaco wheels use flangeless bearings, all others use flanged - all the same width and go straight on every front axle, except Corally!!

As you may have guessed by now, Corally wheels only fit Corally cars! HTH :)

John H
27-07-2004, 09:33 PM
The difference in the fronts (apart from corally which only fit corally axles) is the bearings TRC wheels use a flanged bearing and jaco use normal unflanged bearings which sit on plastic in the centre of the wheel. both fit on the same axle associated, trinity and i think cefx. im uncertain about the calandra fronts but i think they are similar to jaco.

John H
27-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Beaten to it :rolleyes:

Big Jimmy G
28-07-2004, 12:27 AM
Hi all,

Reagarding tire compounds etc, I have heard that the TRC / Jaco and Corally foams are all made in the same factory in the Far East someplace. Therefore Purples are the same as Silvers and Greys are the same as Golds. The only (very) slight differences are batch differences and storage.

If this info is correct then it is only really down to the choice of buying them glued and trued or doing them yourself.

James

rice98w
28-07-2004, 11:52 AM
someones been talking to glyn! ;)

batch differences can be quite amazingly different, some greys can be super soft, others can be quite hard.

calandra uses an unflanged bearing, as do jaco, trc use a flanged bearing.