PDA

View Full Version : 1/12 circuit EGM this weekend

Russ
20-04-2004, 12:04 AM
Hello All

As you should be aware we have the 1/12 section EGM this weekend.
The decisions taken at this meeting will affect all the racing in next years BRCA 1/12 championship(s?).
Please make every effort to attend if you wish to share your opinions and help guide 1/12 racing's future.
I realise that not everyone can attend, busy race schedules / work / home life Etc all mean that a full attendance is unlikely.
I would like to get some indication from the users of this forum what were the good, bad and indifferent things that we did in last years championship.
How can we improve?
Please be aware that anything suggested here is just conversation and the real debate on actual proposals will happen on Saturday at the EGM and nowhere else!

To get things started, what do you all think of a 4 cell 19 turn spec motor class next year?

Mark Stiles
20-04-2004, 10:54 AM
4 cell spec class;

Yes, but only if enough people enter, and I think it should be run as a SEPARATE class, like stock and modified touring.

I only did the wickham national last year, but I must say that it was a very well organised meeting. I knew exactly what race I had to be in, and when.

The only thing I'm a little confused about is how the CEFX shell got approved by the BRCA. The parma speed 8 was banned, with good reason, so why wasn't the CEFX? I can't really complain though, as I won't be there on saturday!

Geraldo
20-04-2004, 03:04 PM
19 Turn is an idea but as a sperate class in the heats, Rob is currently chasin me around Wickham every other thursday with his Reedy.

I'm quite happy with my 15 turn Havok, at £12 got to be good.

Re: Shells. Yes seems to be so dis-parity here somewhere as the Cefx shell looks as low as the proto Ascari i have but one is legal and one is not.

Would love to be there this weeken but the first round of topsa calls me to mendip, can wait to fire up the FG truck again.

Rgds,

G.

PDW
20-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Russ,

What went well...
Well organised Nationals - Good information about 1/12th on brca.org and here - stable rules, well policed - a bit more 1/12th in the mags.

Even better if...
We could separate out each formula into its own heats; race with your own Formula competitors? - we could have more racing and less qualifying; three finals?

As for 19-turn - yes. Would it make sense to have F3 for 27-turn, 6 cell; F2 for 19-turn 4-cell; and F1 for Modified 4-cell? People can elect to run in one or the other, but if you win F3/F2 you carry 'ballast' for the following season (points deduction for example, or handicap penalty on qualifying time).

People can choose a class, race with others on the same basis, and 'ballast' evens the playing field - like a handicap at golf. This is pretty much how the other classes run (TC, Off-Road, etc.) and I think it is better understood by those thinking of racing 1/12th if they can relate to 'Stock', 'Super Stock' (Spec) and 'Modified'.

But if not this, then certainly I would support a 19-turn 4-cell class for next year anyway - with its own heat if there were more than six people running it? HTH - see you Saturday!! :)

Jim Spencer
20-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Re Shells

The rationale is this;

Its not what the bodyshell looks like, it could be low it could be tall. Its what it looks like compared to the real car, e.g. the CEFX Raynard looks (in the opinion of the commitee) like the Raynard Le Mans car its modelled upon, the Parma Speed 8 does not look like a Bentley (in the opinion of the commitee).

That's what the "realistic representation" bit of the rule means.

What I can't understand looking at the real cars racing is why somebody doesn't do some other recent stuff, if CEFX can do one I'm sure the rest can, and make them look realistic too.

Jim

gbevens
20-04-2004, 11:28 PM
What I can't understand looking at the real cars racing is why somebody doesn't do some other recent stuff, if CEFX can do one I'm sure the rest can, and make them look realistic too.

Is Mr Protoform due on line soon?

Mark Stiles
21-04-2004, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't agree with putting ballast in the cars, although what Pete said about stock, super stock, and mod may work, although I think most of the existing racers would still do mod, and stock/super stock would be made up completely of new drivers. Therefore, it may take a while to get off the ground properly.

As for separating the heats into formulas; no. Why shouldn't I be able to race in the same competition as all the top drivers? I did a national last year, and qualified in the B final, although I was graded as an F3 driver (because I haven't done a national before). If I was racing in an F3 competition, I would be put into a final with loads of drivers who aren't as quick as me.

I race 1/12th oval, and at those nationals, the heats are mixed, so the national champion is in a heat of mixed ability drivers, some of whom are only doing 2/3 the amount of laps that he is! Some people moan that this isn't fair, and that all the top drivers should be in a heat of their own. But the argument of most people is as I've said; "why shouldn't I be able to race against the best drivers? I've paid my race entry, like everyone else, so I expect to be able to race everyone!"

On the bodyshell front; we've had the bentley speed 8, and the toyota GT1. I think someone should do an audi R8 though. ;)

Geraldo
21-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Oooooo Audi R8, Audi R8 ! ! ! :)

I'm waiting for someone to bring out the new Audi A4 DTM shell for 10th touring, or a micro one would be nice.

Have you ever notice how when you go back to touring cars after a good days running withe the 12th they fell just so D&%m boring ?.

G.

B_Final_Bob
21-04-2004, 05:03 PM
I think that everything (from what I saw) went really well this season. I personally had no problems with any of the rules and in my opinion nothing really needs changing - why change a good formula?

If I had to be picky, I would say have the referees on the rostrum, not on race control. Overall though, I thought the refereeing (sp?) was good - even though Pete gave me my first ever stop go penalty (I deserved it though)! :D

Liam :)

PDW
21-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Referees on the rostrum in fine in principle, but we couldn't do the job in the Handbook from there! Often there is not enough room, we couldn't see the computer to call 'slower' cars, and (personally) I wouldn't know when to take action against 'blocking' drivers (with the staggered start system) if I couldn't see a computer screen.

I used to referee finals without ever looking at a screen, because it is easy to follow a RACE. Old age, and eight minutes on short tracks, make that a bit of a marathon now! Nonetheless, it is the space and information reasons that make your suggestion unworkable IMHO, Liam.

BTW - everyone who gets a penalty from me deserves it!!! LOL :D

Dave Treacy
22-04-2004, 12:48 AM
My observations on refereeing is that at some venues it was nigh on impossible for the ref to have sight of the whole track.

In general, race control was on the left of the rostrum (facing the track) and I'd have thought having the ref "ronud the corner" would give a better vantage point. He/she (not to be sexist) would also be able to see the drivers as well.

Here's a stab at a diagram....

REF l track
l___________________________________________
Race Control ROSTRUM

PDW
23-04-2004, 09:21 PM
My observations on doing the refereeing...

As close as possible, you need the same view of the track as the drivers - to the left is better than 'round-the-corner'. Without the driver's eye view of the incidents, you can easily make bad calls.

All the venues I reffed had a clear view of the track.

There is no advantage to seeing the drivers; the action is on the track. (As a useless aside, sometimes it is a positive advantage to NOT see some of you!!! LOL :D )

Thanks for the suggestions Dave; my expereince is that what we do now is OK for refs to do a good job. See you tomorrow!!

Peter

MattW
26-04-2004, 09:38 PM
So, what's changed then?? I've heard some edited highlights but i doubt if i heard all of it ;)

Russ
26-04-2004, 10:30 PM
For all of you that had much better things to do than come to the EGM a short summary of the changes.

Committee as last year with the exeption of PRO, Paul has sadly had to stand down and Pete Winton will take over the task.
Area reps TBC

Ride height rule of 3mm is now only a recommendation

Top stock award for 27 turn 6 cell has been canned

New format at the nationals
Saturday is now for 4 cell 19 turn EB spec motors only
Sunday is for 4 cell modified as before
2 championships, 5 rounds for 19 turn, 6 rounds for mod (GP at Chesterfield remains unchanged as a 2 day Mod meeting)

Officials of the meeting cannot have two jobs, ie Steward cannot referee, timekeeper cannot referee or be race director, Etc

It is now the drivers responsibility to ensure any timing equipmeny in their car is correct and functioning properly, this will include handout transponders!

Marshals must be BRCA members and have attended the drivers briefing

entries at the nationals will be limited to 80 drivers

Minimum track width now 1.8M (6 ft to us old gits)

The Formula break points have been adjusted to give an even spread of drivers in the formulas, I haven't made a note of the new points, I think it was 42% and 34% from memory.

There are many other small changes, these will be communicated in Circuit chatter/BRCA website formally, please be aware that this is just from my personal notes from the meeting, the proper rules may be worded slightly differently.

A VERY provisional calender is

Oct - Crewe
Nov - Plymouth
Dec - Chippenham
Jan - Ashby
Feb - Markham (S. Wales)
March - Chesterfield (GP)

Reserve if any of the above don't happen is Teeside
There may be a meeting in Sept to bring the Stock champ up to 6 rounds, watch this space!

Mark Stiles
26-04-2004, 10:43 PM
I think the decision to move to a 1 day national for mod is good, as I think it'll attract more drivers. I think that people have thought before now that if they are going to do 1 day, then they've got to do 2 really, and then end up not coming afterall because they don't want to stay the night (if you get my drift?!). I'm assuming the 27T 6 cells will be run in the mod class?

My only question/query is about the 19T class. Does everyone think there will be a large enough turnout for it to have a national day of its own? Do you think a lot of drivers will race in both championships?

On the venues front, no wickham, mold and milton keynes? The wickham and mold nationals seem to have been last years favourites. Did they not apply for a national or something?

gbevens
27-04-2004, 12:08 AM
On the venues front, no wickham, mold and milton keynes? The wickham and mold nationals seem to have been last years favourites. Did they not apply for a national or something?

Mark,

Neither Wickham or Mold applied for a meeting, I'm not going to sumise as to why they didn't but I'm guessing they had their reasons. Both clubs did an excelent job and it's a shame we will not be going back to see them again.

Gareth

gbevens
08-05-2004, 12:34 AM
All,

The minutes are now on the BRCA site under the 12th Circuit section.

Gareth

:)