PDA

View Full Version : SD Hop-ups

AzNDRAGster
11-03-2004, 02:08 AM
My SD is almost bone stock. Any hop - ups anyone found that work great? Not eye - candy though.

I race stock on asphalt, with rubber tires (Cs - 22).

mark34
11-03-2004, 10:55 AM
The titianium drive shafts, the carbon prop shaft and the alloy input shats all these lower the rotaing mass of the car and will make the car quicker and also lighter. Try them for starters. I have also tried the rayspeed chassis and did not get on with it and have reverted to the original. P.M if anyone wants it
Cheers
Mark

johnbull
11-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Mark. Greetings from Malta.

Interesting that you did not find the Rayspeed chassis to your liking when everyone seems to be raving about it.

I wasn't too happy with the original SSG chassis since it tweeked every time I bashed it ......and that's frequently!

I built my own chassis from 3.8mm carbon fibre. I moved the cells much further forward and inward and used Rayspeed steering geometry. I found it a great improvement. Nicest is the fact that it is always OK. No more tweek. I use Rayspeed towers and top plate.

I drove a CGM recently and was impressed with it's response.

Re light parts, I have alloy driveshafts with titanium stub axles, Tobee Craft alloy layshafts, modified TC3 graphite centreshaft and titanium screws on mine. The 3.8mm chassis is a bit on the heavy side but at least the weight is all low down.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.

al
11-03-2004, 07:08 PM
how did you make the tc3 shaft fit ?

Mr Jolly
11-03-2004, 11:03 PM
Do the andy east chassis it will be the best 120. you will spend on the car,the best upgrade you can do in 1 foul swoop

al
12-03-2004, 12:10 AM
yup aggreed

AzNDRAGster
12-03-2004, 01:57 AM
I'm gonna invest in the Titanium layshafts as I see my plastic ones spreading a LITTLE. And the Alum. input shafts, Alum. driveshafts also. Already have the titanium screw set.

johnbull
12-03-2004, 09:55 AM
how did you make the tc3 shaft fit ?

Shorten to size, and re-glue.

I use it with 8 and 9 turn mod motors without problems.

Good luck.

Joe from sunny Malta.

mark34
12-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Hi Joe,
Perhaps I was to hasty with the rayspeed chassis! I am going to give it another go at the weekend. My real problemwith the chassis was the front end. Dunno what I was doing wrong but found it very hard to set the droop and ride height. Gonna put it back on and see if I can get it right. What lenght shocks are u using as this was where I think I was getting confused.
Any advice welcomed
Cheers
Mark
P.S see you in the summer, will you be at the KO this year (JOE)

Scotty
12-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Hey Mark

I invested in the long shock bodies and I set my shocks at 64mm Front and 62mm Rear. That is with the short shock ends.

And I found my problem from last weekend ... Diff kept coming loose because the lock nut was no locking no more ... !!

L8r
S

mark34
12-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Hey Scott,
Seem to recall thats what I told u over the phone the other day ;D. On a serious note some help with the rayspeed chassis would be helpful will start new thread if thats what mods want
Cheers
Mark

BC Rog
13-03-2004, 10:20 PM
Raysped chassis kit is loverly .... sooooo much steering!

Needs the longer shocks. Bodged mine using long shock ends .... the real deal is better though.

Set the shocks 64mm all round.

Can still tweak though...

Rog

mark34
14-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys. I shall be putting it back on today so lets se how it goes any more input would valued. On the note of so much steering I could not get any out of it.
Cheers
Mark

cobra81li200
15-03-2004, 12:37 AM
I've never tried the rayspeed chassis but I used its wishbones positions (full backwards front and rear) on my SSG and it gives a huge amount of steering. It needs a good setup for the rear not to come loose on power, so I had to get one spring grade down.

jonny69
16-03-2004, 09:35 PM
What do you mean by `(full backwards front and rear)`, Do you mean the spacers on the hinge pins? I am finding I need more steering, although maybe not after I turned the servo 90degrees, yet to try it though. Thanks. Jonathan.

AzNDRAGster
17-03-2004, 01:14 AM
What do you mean by `(full backwards front and rear)`, Do you mean the spacers on the hinge pins? I am finding I need more steering, although maybe not after I turned the servo 90degrees, yet to try it though. Thanks. Jonathan.

Put a longer and more paralell camber link, 1mm spacer under the link to the C-Hub also, turn the servo 90 deg. and run softer springs and 35wt oil. It worked for me when I needed more steering. Also put the wheelbase as short as possible.

cobra81li200
17-03-2004, 09:19 AM

that's what I mean, all spacers being put ahead of the wishbones.

The servo mod also helps a lot but if you need more steering even after that (which was my case) give it a try.