PDA

View Full Version : Kyosho USA-1

TamiyaGuy
04-08-2009, 07:29 PM
I recently dug my dad's old Kyosho USA-1 out of storage. It is nearly complete except for 2 things. 1) Does anyone know of a servo that is powerful enough to turn it's massive wheels?:confused: ( I have a Tower Hobbies System 3000 servo in there and it doesn't respond too well.:eek:) 2) Does anyone know of a good type of Nicd battery that will power it for more than 5- 10 minutes? I am using a Venom 1800 mah battery that is brand new and I can only get the truck for 10-12 minutes on a single charge.

Thanks in advance.:cool:

Mark Stiles
05-08-2009, 11:35 AM
I recently dug my dad's old Kyosho USA-1 out of storage. It is nearly complete except for 2 things. 1) Does anyone know of a servo that is powerful enough to turn it's massive wheels?:confused: ( I have a Tower Hobbies System 3000 servo in there and it doesn't respond too well.:eek:) 2) Does anyone know of a good type of Nicd battery that will power it for more than 5- 10 minutes? I am using a Venom 1800 mah battery that is brand new and I can only get the truck for 10-12 minutes on a single charge.

Thanks in advance.:cool:

It is rare to find Ni-Cd cells anymore - they were pretty much phased out a few years ago by Ni-Mh cells. You can buy Ni-Mh cells up to 4600mAh now. These will give you loads more runtime (at least 20 minutes), but you'll need to make sure they are compatible with your charging equipment first.

You can also get 7.4V Li-Po cells, which currently go up to about 5000mAh. These are more user friendly and require less looking after. However, these also need specific charging equipment.

As for servos - it sounds like you want something with a bit more torque to get those bulky wheels turning. Hi-Tec do a decent range of servos aimed at those on a bit of a budget.

See if there is a shop near to where you live - they will be able to sort you out will all of the above.

Ebay can be a good place to buy if you know what you want and how much to pay for it, but there are always 'traps' on there too...

Alternatively, find your local club, find out what classes they race and get involved with racing - its loads more fun!

Hope this helps.

Mark Stiles
05-08-2009, 11:47 AM
There is a shop called "S&N Trackside Hobbies" () in Brookfield. It's about 40 miles from Elkhorn, but it looks like a pretty decent shop. They also have a track where they race on Thursday & Friday nights (off road) and Saturday afternoons & Tuesday nights (on road) - could be worth a look...

Mark Stiles
05-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Holy cow, the shop above is owned by Scotty Ernst! That's a stroke of luck! Scotty organises a lot of top level rc car events in America and is well known around the globe for his race commentary - he's a handy driver too. I'm 100% sure his shop will ahve what you want!:D:cool:

TamiyaGuy
05-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks! I'll look into it as soon as possible. The only questions that I have left are if anyone knew of a place to get the USA-1's hubs and if anyone knew if a Tower Power Nicad battery charger could charge a Nimh battery.