PDA

View Full Version : Slipper Clutch On vs Off-Road

Stressor
14-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Hi

I was wondering why on-road cars (as far as I know) have no slipper clutch. As I understand it, the slipper protects the diff from excess wear during high traction/high rpm conditions? Given these are so common in off-road 1/10th electric...why not on-road....eg given the stresses of carpet racing with brushless??

anyone?

thanks

greyfox
14-07-2009, 08:59 AM
BRCA rule 3.9 (c) states that the fixed single ratio transmission may not include a mechanical device/s between the drive motor output and thwe gearbox input for the purpose of controlling torque (e.g. slipper clutches)...

PDW
14-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Slippers were outlawed in the first set of IFMAR Rules published in the middle '90s at the request of the governing bodies and the manufacturers. The possibility will always exist that slippers become electronically controlled, adding further expense to the cars, and it was agreed that this should be avoided.

The slipper may protect a poorly adjusted diff, but their real role is to prevent wheelspin, and excess braking on the overrun. That is only a problem in off-road. HTH :)

Chris ODonoghue
14-07-2009, 11:35 AM
I thought it was to protect the drivetrain when jumping/landing ?

PDW
14-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Chris, that is a beneficial side effect of a slipper, but it's primary use is to prevent wheelies on grass and wheelspin on clay. The best protection for the drivetrain on jumps is your thumb - moderate the throttle!! HTH :)

Chris ODonoghue
14-07-2009, 11:21 PM
moderation ? madness :)

Alex_TTO1
15-07-2009, 10:35 AM
their real role is to prevent wheelspin, and excess braking on the overrun. That is only a problem in off-road. HTH :)

So their use is really in low grip situations. Were they outlawed because of cost if so that entirely ridiculous as the slipper assembly costs about £5 and the latest lipo (not outlawed as much as £100).....or because they don't work?....or because they do work too well. There is a hell-of-a-lot of wheelspin running rubber in on-road races.

Mark Christopher
15-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Slippers were outlawed in the first set of IFMAR Rules published in the middle '90s at the request of the governing bodies and the manufacturers. The possibility will always exist that slippers become electronically controlled, adding further expense to the cars, and it was agreed that this should be avoided.

The slipper may protect a poorly adjusted diff, but their real role is to prevent wheelspin, and excess braking on the overrun. That is only a problem in off-road. HTH :)

The best protection for the drivetrain on jumps is your thumb - moderate the throttle!! HTH :)

that applies to wheel spin!!!! biggest benifit of a slipper in off road is drive train protection, its impossible to back off every time the car loads the drive train on bumps