PDA

View Full Version : anyone used Robitronic Lap Counter Set....?

Alex_TTO1
29-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi i am looking for reviews and personal accounts of the Robitronic Lap Counter Set. it seems to be an inexpensive way of working out lap times etc for a small club etc. Costs for 3 transponders and all kit...somewhere around £250.

mad-wolfie
30-05-2009, 08:34 PM
I've not used it but i have heard it's similar to I-lap... in that the transponder system works with infra-red, which means the transponders have to be fitted on the car either in the windscreen or a piece of the shell has to be left clear when painting or a hole reemed for the light to poke through. It's fine for BRCA events & the majority of people, but if using a Tamiya bodyshell (as in pre-painted or with the windows blacked out) you have to fit the transponder on the car's roof. Seems a bit of a faff to me.

I'd also imagine you are limited with the software system or it's bespoke for the system... so if the software that comes with the system is a bit pants & doesn't do what you want, you can't switch to RC-timing or Alycat etc like you can with an AMB type system.

MR GMCC
30-05-2009, 08:43 PM
If your looking for a cheap way of counting laps then try http://www.rctiming.com/ for the excellent laps free program you can start off with manual counting then save the money up and buy a cheap £500+ second hand AMB (we at G.M.C.C. got the AMB 20 off of this forum and it works fine but doesnt accept PT'S).
If its for personal use and not for a club then use the free manual count program and get a friend to count your laps. Good luck.

mad-wolfie
02-06-2009, 10:31 AM
If your looking for a cheap way of counting laps then try http://www.rctiming.com/ for the excellent laps free program .......

Laps Free is very good, however it is a bit "niggly" so try it on a home PC for a few test meetings & i'd suggest to anyone who is likely to be running the program to inwardly digest the user manual before taking it to a track / club to learn how to overcome the niggles - such as if you have no default printer connected it will totally crash the program if the print-out option is set in the program - helps if you can download a virtual printer i suppose to export the results to HTML etc & print the results on paper later.

The biggest problem i've found with the program is that you can't record a running championship standings in the program itself, so to keep a record of championship standings for a season, you have to revert to pen & paper or make an external spreadsheet or database file, if you don't need or want these options however, then go for it. I can't fault it!

bigfix
26-06-2009, 10:51 PM
If your looking for a cheap way of counting laps then try http://www.rctiming.com/ for the excellent laps free program you can start off with manual counting then save the money up and buy a cheap £500+ second hand AMB (we at G.M.C.C. got the AMB 20 off of this forum and it works fine but doesnt accept PT'S).
If its for personal use and not for a club then use the free manual count program and get a friend to count your laps. Good luck.

Another free race software package is Alycat and can be used with or without AMB transponders.
I've used it and it works very well, however be prepared to spend some time in learning how to fine tune it for your style of racing.
I've used it many times to run race meets.

Method.
You will need to put visable numbers on the cars and then ideally have two guys at race control. One to watch the start/finish line and call the numbers as the cars cross while the 2nd guy punches the number on the keypad of the computer. The results are pretty good and you can print details results of each race, race summary and grid listings.

See www.alycat.com for a free download. Yes it is really free.

best regards
Jeff Chandler
www.transponderservices.com