PDA

View Full Version : Cells, motor, speed controller etc

Saw
16-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi,

Looking to have a go at some racing at my local club in the Stock Touring and probably going to use a Xray T2 008. Want go brushless but still want to use NiMH.

What motor, speed control should I go with ?

What cells ?

Thanks

Warren
16-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Novak or Hacker motors seem to be the fastest of the bunch and preffered by a lot of people. and speedo i would recommend a Nosram Matrix or LRP TC Spec. Obviously this is the high end of the market your looking at. You can get a nosram deal for under 100 quid. But you'll soon upgrade the motor to a sintered rotor.

jampot
16-10-2008, 11:07 PM
All the brushless speedo's now are good. I personaly run the nosram istc with nosram motors (you can buy it as a combo.... even better value) The speedo is top quality, user friendly, well presented, does the job very well and value for money. What more could you ask for, The motors I find are fast and never get to hot. As for the 008 it is a brilliant piece of kit easy to drive strong and with the whole xray package it is next to nothing. Hope this helps. Jamie

adamburgess1982
16-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Just wondering why you want to run NiMH? As a new driver its probably easier to use Lipo, With NiMH's you have quite a strict Charging, discharging, balencing routine to stick to in order to keep them at their peak. With Lipo, especially at club level you can get away with having 1 lipo and a decent charger that balences aswell and just top up the lipo between races. When you're new to racing the last thing you need is to be jugging cells and messing about when you should be concentrating on your driving and getting used to the basics of car set-up.
As for motor and ESC im still in the dark ages when it comes to those and run brushed so can't really offer any advice.
Best if luck anyway whichever way you choose to go.

Saw
17-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Hi,

I've just bought a discharger for NiMH and also used lipo's alot before so just want to give NiMH's a go.

I was reading the rules for my local club in Stock Touring and it says 27t brushed or 13.5, 15.5 or 17.5 brushless why is the 3 types of brushless ?

So what NiMH cells should I go for ?

Thanks.

reuben_manning
17-10-2008, 06:21 PM
not talking about us south hants??

if so u should pop down sunday, there will be plenty of 17.5's running, few 13.5 and 10.5's.

we run 17.5 with 27t, as the speed of a 17.5 at our track is identical to a off-the-shelf 27t. then 13.5 and 10.5 with 19t in prostock.....

I would definitly move to lipo, 90% of our club (if not 95%) run Lipo.

I run one lipo (and i can run-charge-run all day).

u should pop over to our south hants website (plenty of talk and lots of helpful people) google shmcc.

as for brushless - the 17.5's, Nothing in it really. Even the slightly cheaper Losi has equal speed. the only niggle is running a 17.5 at our track you are looking at a FDR arround 3.8 (depending on style).

13.5 - novak seems to be the flavour of the year atm,

10.5 - novak or speed passion seem to have the favour (but running this class is probably gonna eat through Nimhs like theres no tomorrow)

if you REALLY want to stay nimh, ask arround for a decent 2nd hand set. there are probably plenty arround.

Reuben

John Stones
17-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Id recommend a speed passion GT with a speed passion piaggio 13.5T brushless and loose unmatched 4200s for cheap cheap. That what I run and it's not slow

kevin bissell
17-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Simon

I'm using a Nosram 13.5 motor with a Novak GTB speedo. The Nosram motor is the dogs danglies. I'm using the Novak Speedo as it came with the 10.5 motor/esc combo I was running earlier in the year, but many people at AMCC tell me the Nosram Matrix ISTC is much better.

It's a pricey bit of kit and your budget will obviously dictate what you end up with, but as I found out when I first started it's often more cost effective to buy the best you can afford and only have to buy once.

Kev.

mad dog
18-10-2008, 10:03 PM
I just fitted Team Orion Motor and ESC.
Really good price really good features.

really impressed with my first time out. Brushless is the future and it is not that expensive.

stok217
26-10-2008, 10:34 PM
if going sub c nimh the charger i recomend is the spintec icc

jampot
26-10-2008, 11:53 PM
nimh i would probably go for orion sho's there lighter than any other new generation nimh's and are proving very reliable i.e cell's are not dropping! they have slightly lower run time but slightly more voltage so you will get better acceleration (punch) and in stock you wont worry about the run time but will want the punch. charger wise I found the probs (contacts) on the spintec both version 1 and 2 a pain in the bum most chargers wil do the job fine i run the 2 nosram evo's and charge my lipo's 6 cell packs and 4 cell pack fine cannot fault them. good luck.
J