PDA

View Full Version : New Cells

simon_allen
16-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Hi

I am looking to buy three packs of cells for my touring car. What brands do you recommend, and where best to get them. I have tried a several of well known shops, but they are all out of stock and don't know when they will be getting anymore.

Has something happened in the world of batteries to cause this lack of stock?

KeithA
16-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi

I am looking to buy three packs of cells for my touring car. What brands do you recommend, and where best to get them. I have tried a several of well known shops, but they are all out of stock and don't know when they will be getting anymore.

Hi Simon,

I would have thought all the cells on the BRCA 2008 homologation list would be available in the UK and there are plenty of very good non-homologated cells available too.

Amongst the popular cells for TC seem to be the LRP VTECs, the Orion SHO, the SMC/Pro-Match Ener-g cell, the East Power 4200 and Enrichpower 4600s, the E-Power 4500 and the Yuntong 4300. If you don't need BRCA approved cells, there are many others to choose from companies like Muchmore and Ansmann.

Any good local model shop should be able to give you some recommendations and get you the cells you want in a day or two.

It's alarming that you are trying your best to spend your hard earned cash and the answer you get is that the shop 'doesn't know' when they are getting anymore.

Good luck.

Keith.

Chris ODonoghue
16-09-2008, 10:56 AM
If you're not doing 5-cell mod in TC, then I would recommend a Lipo or two instead of Nimh

PDW
16-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Simon, I would recommend the following:

EnerG cells. These are excellent, they don't go flat and the give good performance for many more cycles than the IB cells. Plenty of punch, and good voltage. Not sure where you'd get them in the UK, so ask your LHS to investigate.

Orion SHO cells - you don't say if you are running Stock, Super Stock or Mod. If it's Mod, then these might not have enough capacity for a fast track on anything under a 6.5BL. For Stock and Super Stock they are good. They are even tougher than the EnerG cells, and don't go flat. You can get away with not discharging or balancing for a couple of meetings. Ask Phil Booth Models (PBM) about getting some, Andy usually finds a source! These cells are probably as maintenance-free as LiPo, and I'll be using mine just like that to check it out over a longer time.

My advice is to avoid any of the IB cells and their derivatives. LRP VTEC is one example. This is nothing against LRP, just that the EnerG and SHO cells are back where NiMh used to be - tough and durable. I have seen too many people lose IB cells during racing, or by them going flat in storage, for me to advise buying them. Maybe IB stands for Inherently Bad?!!! HTH :)

Mark Christopher
16-09-2008, 12:01 PM
id wait till after the BRCA agm is your planning on racing to BRCA rules, alot get coaught out by buying new cells then after the agm all changes, could be one reason why there is not much stock about too

MattW
16-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Orion SHO cells - you don't say if you are running Stock, Super Stock or Mod. If it's Mod, then these might not have enough capacity for a fast track on anything under a 6.5BL. For Stock and Super Stock they are good. They are even tougher than the EnerG cells, and don't go flat. You can get away with not discharging or balancing for a couple of meetings. Ask Phil Booth Models (PBM) about getting some, Andy usually finds a source! These cells are probably as maintenance-free as LiPo, and I'll be using mine just like that to check it out over a longer time.

Indeed PBM does usually have a source - in fact i know he has some SHO's in stock now.

PDW
16-09-2008, 02:23 PM
id wait till after the BRCA agm is your planning on racing to BRCA rules, alot get coaught out by buying new cells then after the agm all changes, could be one reason why there is not much stock about tooEr... no. The Homologation List for approved cells is published on 1st April, and goes to the following 31st March, when a new one is released. Timing of cell approval is not related to the AGM.

In any event, cells like the EnerG and SHO will be competitive after the new list in April 2009, as there is very little that can be done anymore to either increase voltage, or duration. All work is now on reliability, and it shows. It's avoiding IBs that is the key.

With the advent of BL, there is no need to have more than the current 4200 capacity for any class. For Stock and Super Stock, Off Road and the OVal classes, 3700 is fine. Everyone went 'IB chasing' because of their better voltage, but that is no longer the case. The latest SHOs I got from PBM have equal voltage to IBs.

If you're in TC Super Stock, Bikes or Off-Road, then LiPo is an alternative. Make sure they are on the BRCA Track Section list (shown on Central Booking) as cheap LiPos stuffed in a box don't have the track record that the good stuff does - pretty much like NiMh really; get the ones that work and avoid the others. If you're in anything 4-cell, or Mod TC, then the EnerG and SHO cells are the ones to have. HTH :)

simon_allen
16-09-2008, 02:36 PM
My local shop only stocks IB3800 (which I don't want.)

I only run at my local club so I don't want to spend huge sums of money (£35 ish per pack). I have previously bought cells from Demon and Modeltech, both are currently out of stock (and don't have any due in soon)

I like the sound of the EnerG cells, but just haven't managed to find any :-(

Steve Cann
16-09-2008, 02:42 PM

Always seems to happen at this time of the year... Possibly because its the end of the season for many and they'll make do with what they've got for winter... Also 1/12 season is just starting and they'll have just filled their proverbial boots with fresh cells for their season ahead... Suspect the better cells are manufactured in smaller volumes plus of course market is flat alround generally... And of course penetration into the market by the dreaded Li-Po ;)...

simon_allen
26-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Well I have just ordered 3 packs of Yuntong 4300. Does anyone have the charging settings for the Robitronic Overloader?

top-timm
27-09-2008, 11:40 PM
looking at cells and found the following available

ep4200
grepow 4200 / 4500
yuntong 4200
ansmann 4500
demon 4500

what would people recommend for 4 cell 12th racing

PDW
28-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Depends on the motor you are using. For up to 6.5BL Mod, and 10.5BL/19T Stock, I would recommend the Orion SHO4200 cells - talk to Andy at PBM for supplies, and be prepared to wait a couple of weeks. Andy gets good ones!

The EP cells seem to be good for anything, and also the EnerG4600 cells. Can't speak for the rest of them as I've not used them. Whatever you do, make sure that on delivery, each cell has more than 1.0v (just like LiPo, you wouldn't buy a 'flat' LiPo!!) and reject any cells that have lower than 1.0v back to the shop. HTH :)