PDA

View Full Version : tyre choice

redlinezak
26-01-2004, 02:45 PM
can anyone suggest what tyres are best for indoors on carpet i am cuurently running orion soft foams at the back and hard foams at the front but am suffering uncontrollable grip roll ( i run an orion elite mod with 6 cells ) i thought maybe something a little less grippy may help but the kit rubber has no grip is there something in between ? Im hoping that when other springs become available i can stiffen things up and revert back to the foams? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Nathan Pearce

Dynamite Arrows
26-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Although it may seem silly, we run HPI Rear (Rubber) Carpet tyres on the front (on rear wheels). This is what we always ran on the HPI Micro RS4, which did grip roll easily, but on the Xray M18 we can't get the car to grip roll in normal use. I'm sure its illegal in most chapionships, but for club racing it's fine if the club allows it. I run with the Medium Orion foams on the rear, running on Primatrack carpet it seems fine.

redlinezak
26-01-2004, 03:17 PM
thanks peter you couldnt pm me a website or phone number from a supplier could you i am having a great deal of trouble findinf tyres for micros (am still waiting on orion rears having to run fronts on the rear at the moment)

lewist
26-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Nathan: i run foams on my car, i am running it in standard mode at the moment apart from i run it rear wheel drive only.. makes it much faster.. take out the front diff, shafts and belt.

i am currently running urfa se mediums all round with the fronts trued to half the width of the front wheel.

i then use superglue to stop it grip rolling.. try it on your foams, what you have to do is on the outside rolling edge of the tyre you need to put some little lines of superglue so they extend onto the rolling surface by avout 2 - 3 mm and then travel down the sidewall..... put 2 5 - 10 mm lines on first and try it, if it is not enough put more glue on (put 2 more lines in the gaps between the first lines, if it is too much then use some sand paper to get it off.. you don't need much but what it does is stops the front tyres digging in... my car handles really nicely now.

markus
30-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Hi Nathan,
for both, the RS4 Micro and the M18, I use foams where evver it is possible. GP tires (40 front / 30 rear) are working fine - and for a long time - for me. If I have to use rubber tires, for the M18 car the HPI medium front and soft rear tires are also a good solution - near to the foams after a few minutes, but you can only use them for a limited number of races - soft!

BR

Markus