PDA

View Full Version : new to truggies

ws72sturacer
18-02-2008, 07:28 PM
hi all just bought a kyosho str truggy need a little advice on tyres can these be bought pre glued also reading about diffrent sizes,also can these truggys be started on any make of starter box,one last question are most people running 21 engines any advice would be a great help,use to race buggys had a break for a few months went into touring cars indoors:eek:not for me [yawn)missing the friendly 1/8th scene .

gramey
18-02-2008, 08:43 PM
:)I think you'll find that Proline do their Hole Shot, Crime Fighter & Bow Ties pre mounted if you don't fancy glueing your own, GRP also do some pre mounted.
Most makes of starter box will can probably be adapted to take the ST-R, I've got a Fastrax All Start (FAST560) one which was meant for a buggy but it will start my Losi 8T. If you can afford it I just bought my son a Fastrax ( also labelled an Ofna elsewhere) King starter box (FAST 555) which is much wider and easier to get a truggy set up on although heavier.
I don't know what your local track is like but we're now moving away from .26/.28 engines that we had in our previous RTR truggies and have changed to .21 engines. Unless you've got a very long straight or the track is particularly heavy going you'll get round as well, if not better, with a good quality .21 as a big block 'cooking' engine.:)

Gasaxe
18-02-2008, 09:18 PM
I like a good .28 engine, the Mugan .28 was great and the O.S 28 is as good, with a 28 you dont have to mess about tuning it, like a 21 and the 28 as all the power you need and a bit more (more fun to drive)
Starter boxs, myself and my lad run a cheapo (£40) schumacher starer box, had them for 4 years now and they never let us down
Best thing to do with tyres is pop down to your local track and see what everone is running

Neil McRae
19-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Any buggy 21 is good for a truggy, except maybe when its wet or on a very long open track.

Starter box. either the CML King box (heavy) or the SMD TrueStarter which is made specially for truggies.

You can buy both proline and grp tyres preglued. I recommend wait for the new LPR BowTie preglued from Proline which should be in shops any time soon.

Cheers,
Neil.

st-rman
22-02-2008, 08:53 PM
I personally found the GRP grips to be the best

with regards engines i've only run .21 ,

and I use a king starter box but I will be looking to get smd box soon

gramey
23-02-2008, 11:47 PM
I personally found the GRP grips to be the best

with regards engines i've only run .21 ,

and I use a king starter box but I will be looking to get smd box soon

It's a bit late as I've already just bought one, but what's wrong with the King starter box?

Andy Taylor
24-02-2008, 10:16 AM
It's a bit late as I've already just bought one, but what's wrong with the King starter box?

Nothing other than its a bit big and very heavy

Andy Taylor
24-02-2008, 10:23 AM
hi all just bought a kyosho str truggy need a little advice on tyres can these be bought pre glued also reading about diffrent sizes,also can these truggys be started on any make of starter box,one last question are most people running 21 engines any advice would be a great help,use to race buggys had a break for a few months went into touring cars indoors:eek:not for me [yawn)missing the friendly 1/8th scene .

I dont know ANY of the top truggy drivers running a 28. This may change of course but in general the extra pit stops required by the larger fuel consumption of set any potential power benefits. I say potential as the drive train and tyres will only take so much stick. A car that spins up its tyres (generally speaking) is wasting power an energy (fuel).

Just watch the top guys driving truggies with 21 's and you will see how quick they go!

That said its possible, and I dont know because I have never compared them, but possible they might be longer lasting if you are on a strict budget and still expanding your ability.

st-rman
24-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Like Andy says, its just to heavy but its been super reliable and very powerful
and I've had it now for over a year so just updating.

gramey
24-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Like Andy says, its just to heavy but its been super reliable and very powerful
and I've had it now for over a year so just updating.
:) HeavyAm I bovvered?, as long as that's all it is I'm not, I bought it for my son and he has to lug it around, hehe. In all seriousness that aside is not a huge problem as long as there are no major faults with it. Thanks for the replies.:)