PDA

View Full Version : new to mod racing

kriss
14-01-2004, 07:43 PM
I have raced stock for ages and have decided to race my 2wd buggy out side on a large track and want the quickest motor possible!!! I have about £30 to spend so anyone got any in mind? I have a no limit speedo so it can be as fast as you like!!!
Chris

marcoski
14-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Quickest possible eh, not on that budget! You will be able to buy an orbital 2 BB for that money, say a 12 double, but it won't be the quickest possible.

PDW
14-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Orbital 2 BB seconded here. Avoid any low-cost modified with solid (bronze) bearings - you must have ball races.

Err.... the IFMAR World Championships were won on a 13 double, if memory serves. That is not the fastest possible, it is the best motor for the track. Ask at the club what people use and copy them. They will know which is the best motor - and that is often not the fastest!! HTH. :)

kriss
15-01-2004, 08:00 PM
They use 12x2 so I think I will do with one of them(the orbital). Also what other good 12x2 are there about?
Chris

Mark Stiles
15-01-2004, 08:31 PM
If you want a better modified motor than that then you're looking at spending upwards of £50.

I race 1/12th circuit, so my opinion may not be of much use to you, as I've never raced offroad so I don't know what motors they use. I use an orion core 12x2, with the intention of buying a revolution 9x2 in the near future (I have the need for speed!).

super__dan
17-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Orbital 2 BB seconded here. Avoid any low-cost modified with solid (bronze) bearings - you must have ball races.

Err.... the IFMAR World Championships were won on a 13 double, if memory serves. That is not the fastest possible, it is the best motor for the track. Ask at the club what people use and copy them. They will know which is the best motor - and that is often not the fastest!! HTH. :)

Billy Easton won the worlds last year with a 14*2 Reedy KR according to RCCA.

Dan