PDA

View Full Version : Euro's modified wishbones

SMTCA Focal Point
16-08-2003, 12:04 PM
Has anyone else seen the modified wishbone set up on the works cars at the euro's. The pictures are on Orions race report page. Any comments.

Toby
16-08-2003, 09:01 PM
Yep - I have just had a look. Interesting to note that the mounting points for the wishbones are now on the outside of the bulkheads.

I wonder how much the cars track width has changed - if at all?

Who thinks this is a Euro's only tweak or will we see a mod kit for our Xrays in the future?

Toby

university_dave
18-08-2003, 05:22 PM
I would expect that these will be a euros-only mod. So far as I am aware the track was even bigger than last years, and by reducing the length of the wishbones you will change the roll characteristics of the car without having to stiffen the springs or damping. I wouldn't have thought that it would help at all on tighter tracks where you really need the weight transfer in the tight corners.

SMTCA Focal Point
19-08-2003, 07:27 AM
I wonder, how would these help indoors on a wooden floor,

RCInfinity
20-08-2003, 05:31 AM
These "modified wishbones" are prototype short a arms. I first saw them on Jurai, Martin, and Jilles' car at the Reedy Race of Champions in USA. The idea is to make the car roll better on short tracks, not really meant for long tracks. The track width remains the same since only the position of the hinge pin has moved, not the arm. In other words, the hole for the hinge pin is at a different location.

ldebackker
01-09-2003, 07:18 PM
The idea is to make the car roll better on short tracks, not really meant for long tracks.

that's right, they're specially made for the chicane in the Austrian circuit. But I don't know if they will be available in shops.

Petermarkphillips
23-10-2003, 12:08 PM
Heard a rumour that there going into production in about 2 and a half weeks.

university_dave
23-10-2003, 01:06 PM
These "modified wishbones" are prototype short a arms.

They are actually the wishbones from the T1M, so will be avaliable in the shops as soon as the new 1/12th car is.

Matt Brewerton
23-10-2003, 04:05 PM
They are indeed

Matt

Petermarkphillips
24-10-2003, 02:27 PM
sweet, believe there were different bulkheads on euros cars, with different antisquat holes, these arent off the T1M are they???

Matt Brewerton
24-10-2003, 03:18 PM
I assume you mean the front bulkheads. Yes these were special euro parts and changed the roll centre of the car. However they are not required to use the short wishbones. I would expect that if demand was high enough then x-ray would release them, but that is only a guess.

Matt

SMTCA Focal Point
24-10-2003, 04:37 PM
It wouldnt be difficult to modify the existing bulkheads to give additional roll centre positions. the front bulkheads have space to machine extra holes in them. Wouldnt be a problem for someone with access to a pillar drill.

Before you all say "not everyone has one of those" remember they only cost about £40 from B&Q. How much would a new bulkead set cost?

university_dave
24-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Ah yes, but think about the cost of a pillar drill AND new bulkheads when you make a pigs ear out of the first ones... :P ::)

That leads me on to a question I've been pondering for some time; on all the pics I've seen of the mod it only shows the rear of the car. Are the team drivers using the short wishbones on the front as well?

Matt Brewerton
24-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Have a look at this http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/news/newsdesc.php?news_id=278&kategoria=278
It is Andreas Myrburgs reveiw of the japanese national championship. It shows the short wishbones on the front, however to run them on the front a slight mod is needed to the steering (can't remember exactly what though)
Matt

Petermarkphillips
26-10-2003, 07:52 PM
It wouldnt be difficult to modify the existing bulkheads to give additional roll centre positions. the front bulkheads have space to machine extra holes in them. Wouldnt be a problem for someone with access to a pillar drill.

Before you all say "not everyone has one of those" remember they only cost about £40 from B&Q. How much would a new bulkead set cost?

Im not wanting to change my bulkheads. I heard a rumour that there were different ones at euros. If they are going into production i was told it will be next year.

SMTCA Focal Point
30-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Ah yes, but think about the cost of a pillar drill AND new bulkheads when you make a pigs ear out of the first ones... :P ::)

That leads me on to a question I've been pondering for some time; on all the pics I've seen of the mod it only shows the rear of the car. Are the team drivers using the short wishbones on the front as well?

Ah.. you would also need to have half a brain as well...

I modify most of my cars, normally never have one stay standard more than a few weeks. The Xray lasted the longest at three months before the drill and hacksaw came out to the top deck to make my own flex deck using a 25mm tie bar rather than a carbon link plate. Works a treat indoors.

Xray Griff
09-11-2003, 02:20 PM
Latest rumour is that the shortened wishbones will be coming out in an upgrade kit for the T1, like the C Hub upgrade.
Using the T1M 1/12 wishbones does require some modifications and the use of washers from what I can gather.

university_dave
09-11-2003, 10:48 PM
I think it does to make them fit on the EVO2 chassis as the servo post gets in the way. I'll be alright if I try them, the servo on the original T1 chassis sits farther back... ;D

Petermarkphillips
10-11-2003, 11:40 AM
Ive been told by gavin at centrepoint that the T1M 1/12th wishbones will fit without any modifications to car.

SMTCA Focal Point
10-11-2003, 11:42 AM
The only issue I think there is with the new wishbones is the droop screws. I dont think they touch the chassis, too far out.

Could there be a new chassis on the way that would be compatible?

Petermarkphillips
11-11-2003, 10:42 AM
I asked ben and he says they just hit the chassis. theres talk of a conversion kit, but if there's a need for a new chassis, then i think we may see a new car kit.