PDA

View Full Version : Evo 4 problems

coxie71
22-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Hello, I've just got an Evo4, very nice piece of kit. However my motor (Reedy mvp 27t) keeps on overheating. I get one race out of it (And it's RED hot) then second race it keeps cutting out. This is with the 34t pinnion and the 96t spur if I change to the 90t spur will this solve it?
Is there anything to stop me changing my pinnion and spur gears for the more easily available 48dp ones?
How far do you have to file the battery slots back? I feel as though i've done loads and they still don't feel very secure, whats everyone else doing?
Please help me 'cause it's getting embarrassing and I'm sick of hardly ever finishing a bloody race.
Cheers Matt.

Chaz Godwin
22-11-2004, 07:35 PM
The reedy mvp usually runs hot i think, so if you change the motor to a p2k2 or monster based motor it'll run cooler probably

Chaz

mr4man
22-11-2004, 11:15 PM
to be honest the mvp is a rubbish motor for a touring car as get too hot too quick. if you have to run it take the edges off both brushes and gear up a bit as revs will be lost but torque gained.
TBH get a monster from a reptibule tuner such as demon there far far better.

gatesy
23-11-2004, 11:44 AM
If the motor is getting hot, then change your gear ratio, simple as.

Ive got an Evo 4, run it indoors, very tight twisty track with a Monster stock, gear ratio of about 8.5, comes of mildly warm.

coxie71
23-11-2004, 03:44 PM
thanks for the help so far, I realize I need to change my gearing but to what? (Pinion --t / Spur --t) I do not understand how to get a ratio of 8.5.

peejay
24-11-2004, 09:13 AM
thanks for the help so far, I realize I need to change my gearing but to what? (Pinion --t / Spur --t) I do not understand how to get a ratio of 8.5.

Have you got the manual? There should be a page in it (mostly in Japanese) that has a table of pinion and spur combinations and the respective overall ratios. Otherwise, the overall ratio is the spur teeth/pinion teeth ratio multiplied by the final drive ratio (diff gear teeth/bevel pinion teeth). So, for example, a final drive ratio of 2.5 will mean you need a spur/pinion ratio of 3.4 to give you an overall ratio of 8.5, and for any given pinion size you would multiply it by 3.4 to get the spur size.

HTH

Simon K
28-11-2004, 09:46 PM
The first thing I did when building my Evo4 was to ditch the kit spur and go to 48 pitch, I knew the ratios would cook the motor. I worked out the ratio and this told me that I needed to be on something like a 74T spur. I run on tight carpet tracks at the moment, and I run 74/20 giving 8.48 : 1. This should also be a good starting point for your 27T stock.

Simon

chris skidmore
01-12-2004, 09:10 PM
u want to be looking at using about ~ 30tooth pinion with an 96 spur but it depends on the track your racing on. Dont use the 90tooth spur as it will increse the speed but decrese the accelaration alot.. and could burn out your motor u could go for the hpi spur (white spur gear) that is an 98tooth i dont know how big they get but i know the 96 fits in well , u should be looking at buying an decent motor such as the revenge of the monster pro,psk2 or the team 1 or make sure ur motor is in good condiction

u dont need 2 file off much to stop ur batterys from falling out... just get an old foam type and cut it up and put it underneth ur batery bar so ur battery cannot fall out

plus check ur diff to make sure it isnt slipping and make sure ur car is free and spins nicely

chris

Genem
02-12-2004, 06:24 AM
Using a Reedy 27T, I was using a small fan because it wasn't getting enough air. You could also try a heat sink. The Reedy stocks are known to run really hot, so gear appropriately.

Dean Osbon
03-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Hello, I've just got an Evo4, very nice piece of kit. However my motor (Reedy mvp 27t) keeps on overheating. I get one race out of it (And it's RED hot) then second race it keeps cutting out. This is with the 34t pinnion and the 96t spur if I change to the 90t spur will this solve it?
Is there anything to stop me changing my pinnion and spur gears for the more easily available 48dp ones?
How far do you have to file the battery slots back? I feel as though i've done loads and they still don't feel very secure, whats everyone else doing?
Please help me 'cause it's getting embarrassing and I'm sick of hardly ever finishing a bloody race.
Cheers Matt.
if your batterys keep coming out use two ball ends (shock ends)
on the holes near the out side of the chassis they wont come out now :p

chris skidmore
03-12-2004, 06:18 PM
depends what batteys he using if hes running with stick packs or saddle packs :rolleyes:

thats all i used but cut off the top bit with the hole going through but i noticed that the threads inside are starting to go

coxie71
03-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Once again thanks to everyone for posting replys.
I was running side by side packs, but I've just swapped over to stick packs to see what the difference is. There is no way that packs coming out! Nice and tight. Still not sorted my gearing out, parts are on order. Is it me or are all local model shops useless when it comes to ordering Tamiya Parts? Anyone konow a good model shop that carries decent levels of stock in the Leicester area? One shop I rang didn't know what 48DP meant!! :eek:
Once again cheers for the help lads and I hope to race again at some point I can't be doing with this staying at home on Tuesday night lark!!!!!

Chaz Godwin
04-12-2004, 09:12 PM
I think to get parts quicker you have to order over seas like USA, they've got spares, hop ups etc and it's abit cheaper the more you buy.

Chaz

Chaz Godwin
04-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Just sent you a pm where to get them over seas

Chaz

coxie71
04-12-2004, 10:16 PM
cheers Chaz, i've ordered some stuff from Hong Kong from a certain shop on E Bay if they come back in a reasonable time I'll use them again because the prices were excellent. Limited choice of bits but what was on there was seriously cheap!
The pinion gear situation is pathetic though I think its about time Tamiya supported proper racing chassis like the evo 4.

chris skidmore
05-12-2004, 01:37 PM
yep i got most of my hop ups from ebay (japan) , might sound silly but the only thing missing from my evo4 is the alloy gear for the one way :(